The one-day seminar on ‘Gas Insulated Switchgear - Design, Applications and Digitalization’ was held at Miracle Grand Convention Hotel in Bangkok on 27th July 2017. Over 420 participants from across the region attended, including utilities such as Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA), as well as local and overseas small and independent power producers, consultants, and EPC contractors. They showed avid interest in the sessions as well as the technologies demonstrated in an exhibition area.
“As Thailand embraces rapid economic growth, utilities are looking for solutions to modernize and digitalize the power grid.” said Kumchai L., Local Sales Manager, Power Grids, Thailand. “ABB’s world-leading digital substations bridge the gap between analog and digital technologies and can help the country achieve new heights in reliability, interoperability and real-time performance to meet the challenges of tomorrow,” he added.
ABB experts addressed the latest trends and developments of an evolving grid. There were seven sessions which explored eco-efficient GIS technologies and applications, digital substations and underground substations as well as design concepts for service continuity.
The expert speakers for the event were:
- Session 1: Eco-efficient Technologies with alternatives to SF6 – Efe Okur, Global Product Manager, Transmission GIS, ABB Switzerland
- Session 2: Sub-Transmission and Integrated GIS Application (IGA), 69 kV & 115 kV – Rene Bouyer, Area Sales Manager, ABB Germany
- Session 3: Transmission GIS - 230 kV & 500 kV – Efe Okur, Global Product Manager, Transmission GIS, ABB Switzerland
- Session 4: Digital Substation for GIS S/S, Part I: Substation Automation System – Stefan Meier, Product Manager, Digital Substation, ABB Switzerland
- Session 5: Digital Substation for GIS S/S, Part II: Substation Design and Engineering – Sten Trolle, Area Sales Manager, ABB Sweden
- Session 6: Underground Substation for GIS S/S – Prashant Mishra, Global Product Group - Territory Sales & Marketing Manager – Asia
- Session 7: Design Concept for Service Continuity in GIS – Efe Okur, Global Product Manager, Transmission GIS, ABB Switzerland
At the exhibition, ABB demonstrated its digital substation concept, highlighting key features like safety, flexibility and availability, while reducing cost, risk and environmental impact. The concept also included Intelligent Electronic Devices (IED) with integrated information and communication technologies, replacing traditional copper connections using analog signals, enabling monitoring and diagnostics as well as data and asset management.
Praditpong S., Secretary to IEEE Power & Energy Society – Thailand, said, “It is important for us to align our business implementation with the country’s Energy 4.0 Policy, focusing on grid modernization and innovation technologies which will enhance the reliability of Thailand’s grid in the near future.”