1. Who is responsible for the processing of your personal data?
This Customer Privacy Notice ("Notice") applies to the ABB company that is providing services or communicating to you (referred to as "ABB" or "we"), who is responsible for the processing of your personal data and controls how it is used, in accordance with this Notice.
Other subsidiary companies of ABB may also receive and process your personal data, either in the capacity of controller or processor and this Notice applies equally to them.
2. The types of personal data ABB collect and use?
ABB collect and use personal data that concerns you in connection with the agreements with you as our customers, in particular, we may collect the following categories of personal data:
- The business contact information you share with ABB: full name, title, job title, email address, business address, telephone number, mobile telephone number, in particular, the personal data of your representatives or assigned power of attorney of you as ABB corporate customer;
- Additional information you provide to us in the course of our business relations, such as: interests in ABB products, marketing preferences, registration information provided at events, webinars, fairs, contract or order data, invoices, payments, business partner history, data concerning the fulfilment of our contractual obligations and pre-contractual measures including marketing activities, correspondence data, offers, tenders, insurance data, records relating to queries/questions/complaints/orders, employee number, passport number, date of birth, travel visa information, interview assessment/feedback, training records, gender, customer/consumer ID, product usage data, preferences.
- Electronic identification data and information collected by the communications systems, IT applications and website browser, such as:IP address, the source of your site visit, webpage views and time spent on the website or a particular page, links clicked, comments shared, emails opened, browser type, date and time of visit, device identifiers (mobile device ID, PC ID etc.), cookies, digital alias/signature, registration and login credentials, tracking/analytics data.
The below mentioned types of personal data are only collected and processed, if at all, in accordance with applicable local laws in your country of residence.
- Data about criminal convictions and offences,such as: criminal background information and sanction list information to the extent required for the purposes of criminal background screening and Know Your Customer (“KYC”) and Anti Money Laundering (“AML”) obligations.
- To the extent necessary to fulfil our obligations, data obtained from publicly accessible sources or which are legitimately transmitted by other third parties (e.g. a credit agency): commercial register data, association register data, creditworthiness data.
3. Why ABB use your personal data?
The use of Your personal data provided during the customer onboarding process will be limited to a need basis and shared only with the employees and third parties that are directly involved in the performance of the rights and obligations of ABB and You under the relevant agreement. All of the personal data ABB being collected and defined under this Notice will be used for the following purposes and the following lawful basis:
- ABB may process your personal data for the fulfillment of contractual obligations resulting from contracts with you or your company or as part of pre-contractual measures we have been asked to take, including without limitation for the following activities:
- processing and fulfilling orders, delivering services and keeping you informed about the status of your or your company’s order; and providing and administering our products and services;
- processing quotation offer and managing the customer relationship including providing customer and product support and process, evaluate and respond to requests and inquiries, contract lifecycle management, and capturing personal data of potential customers for future communications;
- conducting and facilitating customer satisfaction surveys, marketing campaigns, market analysis, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events;
- ABB will rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data within the scope of the business relationship with you or your company insofar as this is not overridden by your own privacy interests. Such interests may include:
- conduct, management, development and furtherance of our business in the broadest sense possible including supply of products and services, performance of agreements and order management with customers, process and fulfilment of purchases, process quality management and improvement of products or services, analytics and market intelligence, reduction of default risks in our sales processes, enforcement of legal claims, including debt collection via out-of-court procedures, and reorganization, acquisition and sale of activities, business divisions and companies;
- conducting marketing and sales activities (including generating leads, pursuing marketing prospects, performing market research, determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing campaigns and managing our brand and communicating about new business projects);
- analyzing personal data to provide with relevant marketing offers and information and ensuring accuracy of your contact information;
- reporting and data analytics such as market research, trend analysis, financial analysis, customer segmentation and profiling of customers in order to improve the customer experience with ABB and provide better and more personalized content including market intelligence and development and improvement of services or products through assessment and analysis of the information;
- conducting customer trainings and courses;
- monitor, investigate and ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, standard and ABB internal requirements and policies;
- prevent fraud and criminal activity including investigations of such activity, misuse of ABB assets, products and services, and as strictly necessary and proportionate for ensuring network and information security; and
- transmitting personal data within the ABB group for internal administrative purposes as necessary for example to provide centralized services.
- ABB will ask your consent for the activities described in this Notice when required by applicable law, for example when we process your data for marketing purposes including sharing tailored marketing communication with you, sending you personalized messages, and to ensure accuracy of your contact information where we don’t have an existing business relationship with you or your company
To confirm the accuracy of your contact information, to provide you with tailored marketing communication and advertisement and send you personalized messages, ABB will use automated methods to build a profile based on data that ABB have obtained as described in this Notice such as the number of ABB webpage views, opened emails, your webinar registrations and the recent interaction and activities with ABB.
ABB collect only the personal data from you that we need for the purposes described above. For statistical purposes, improvement of our services and testing of our IT systems we use as much as reasonably possible anonymized data. This means that these data can no longer (in)directly identify you or single you out as an individual.
4. How long ABB keep your personal data?
ABB only keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the purposes described in this Notice, or until you notify us that you no longer wish to receive ABB marketing materials.
In general, customer related personal data is kept for the duration of the contractual relationship and for a minimum period (typically between 5-10 years after the termination of the contract) or for longer period if required by local laws and regulatory requirements.
Through the setting of IT applications and policies we ensure that our keeping of your personal data is deleted when we no longer need it.
5. What happens if you do not provide us with the information we had asked you for or if you ask us to stop processing your information
Where it concerns processing operations related to the business relationship with you, ABB will not be able to adequately establish, conduct or terminate a business relationship with you or your company and generally perform the purposes described above without certain personal data. Although we cannot obligate you to share your personal data with us, please note that this then may have consequences which could affect the business relationship in a negative manner, such as not being able to take requested pre-contractual measures to enter into a contract with you or your company or to establish and continue the business relationship you have asked for.
6. Parties we share your personal data with (in and outside the EU and EEA or outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located)
ABB only share your personal data with other ABB affiliates or third parties as necessary for the purposes described below to the extent only necessary to fulfill the relevant purposes defiined under the scope of the data processing agreement to be entered into between ABB and the relevant third parties:
- ABB affiliates (inside or outside of Europe) who provide any vendor and procurement services to the affliiates;
- ABB customers, distributors, agents and business partners for the purpose of project placements, carrying out audits, reviews and regulatory checks, customer relationship management and travel and expense management;
- Other service providers being engaged by ABB to provide IT services, professional and advisory services including accountants, auditors, lawyers, insurers, bankers, recruiters, travel agents and other advisors working on ABB’s behalf;
- Potential or actual acquirers of ABB businesses or assets for the purpose of the business assets evaluation; and
- Government authorities that ABB is obliged under the applicable laws or the government order / judgment to disclose or share the relevant data subject to such authority.
ABB only share your personal data with other ABB affiliates or third parties as necessary for the purposes described under this Notice. Where we share your personal data with an affiliate or third party so that it is transferred to or becomes accessible from outside the European Union (“EU”) and the European Economic Area ("EEA") or outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located, we always put adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data. Examples of these safeguards are an adequacy decision of the European Commission or Standard Contractual Clauses. We have taken additional measures for the transfer of data from within to outside the EU, EEA and outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located to protect your personal data. If you would like an overview of the safeguards which are in place, please submit a request at www.abb.com/privacy.
7. Which data protection rights do you have with regards to your personal data?
ABB respect your statutory rights under the applicable laws that You may have over your personal data as follows: (a) the right correct any error in your personal data or update it; (b) the right to access your personal data and receive a copy of your personal data that ABB hold, (c) the right to delete your personal data that ABB no longer have a lawful ground to use; (d) the right to port your personal data to a new data processor (if applicable); (e) the right to object to the processing of your personal data based on the legitimate interests grounds; (f) the right to suspend the use of your personal by ABB whilst a complaint or during your right to object or delete is being investigated, or (g) the right to withdraw consent, whenever ABB have asked for your consent for processing of your personal data.
8. Contact and further information
If you want to access your personal data, make use of any of your other rights mentioned above or if you have any questions or concerns about how ABB processes your personal data, please contact our Group Data Protection Officer at email@example.com, or submit your complaint at www.abb.com/privacy.
Should you not be satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data against the law, you may also have the right to file a complaint with the Data Privacy Authority in your country of residence or work, or seek a remedy through the courts where you believe an infringement of data privacy laws may have taken place.
9. Updates to this document
This Notice may be updated from time to time as a result of required developments. In case of such updates, ABB will undertake necessary actions to inform you about them depending on the importance of changes done. If and where required by applicable laws we will also ask for your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes describing our up-to-date practices.
Date of publication: 23.02.2023