REF615 is a dedicated feeder protection and control relay for protection, control, measurement and supervision of overhead lines and cable feeders in utility and industrial power distribution systems, including radial, looped and meshed distribution networks, with or without distributed power generation.
REF615 has been designed to be the main overcurrent and earth-fault protection for overhead lines and cable feeders, in either isolated neutral, resistance-earthed, compensated or effectively-earthed distribution networks, depending on the standard configuration. REF615 is available in altogether twelve standard configurations, of which two provide maximum functionality to allow fully flexible tailoring, one for sensors and the other for conventional current transformers.
The extensive earth-fault protection portfolio has been expanded to include a unique multifrequency admittance-based protection for higher sensitivity and selectivity. The new earth-fault protection is intended for all types of earth faults – continuous, transient and intermittent – and combines both reliability and sensitivity in one protection function.
REF615 fully supports the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices, including IEC 61850-9-2 LE, and can now also benefit from the extended interoperability provided by Edition 2. REF615 further supports both the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) and the high-availability seamless redundancy (HSR) protocol, together with the DNP3, IEC 60870-5-103 and Modbus® protocols. With the protocol adapter SPA-ZC 302, Profibus DPV1 can also be used.
REF615 is a member of ABB’s Relion® product family and part of its 615 protection and control series of relays.
- Withdrawable plug-in unit design for swift installation and testing
- Extensive range of protection and control functionality, either with sensors or conventional instrument transformers
- Ready-made standard configurations for fast and easy setup with tailoring capabilities
- Extensive earth-fault protection portfolio with unique multifrequency admittance-based protection for higher sensitivity and selectivity
- Advanced and fast fault location of short circuits and earth faults
- IEC 61850 Edition 2 and Edition 1 support, including HSR and PRP, GOOSE messaging and IEC 61850-9-2 LE for less wiring and supervised communication
- IEEE 1588 V2 for high-accuracy time synchronization and maximum benefit of substation-level Ethernet communication
- Large graphical display for showing customizable SLDs, accessible either locally or through a web browser-based HMI