REF620 is a dedicated feeder management relay for protection, control, measurement and supervision in utility and industrial power distribution systems, including radial, looped and meshed networks, with or without distributed power generation. REF620 can be used in various single or double-busbar applications, with either one or two breakers and numerous switching devices.
The already impressive earth-fault protection portfolio has been further expanded and now includes a unique multifrequency admittance-based protection for higher sensitivity and selectivity. The new earth-fault protection is intended for all types of earth faults – continuous, transient and intermittent – and combines both reliability and sensitivity in one function. REF620 now also includes a fault locator that locates short circuits in radial networks and earth faults in effectively and low-resistance earthed ones.
To further ensure grid stability and reliability, an interconnection protection package is introduced. Other additions include a capacitor bank protection package for single and double star-connected capacitor banks with a compensated or an isolated neutral, a directional power protection package for basic motor protection, and high-impedance based busbar differential protection.
REF620 fully supports the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices, including fast GOOSE messaging and now also IEC 61850-9-2 LE process bus and Edition 2, offering substantial benefits in terms of extended interoperability. REF620 further supports both the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) and the high-availability seamless redundancy (HSR) protocol, together with the DNP3, IEC 60870-5-103 and Modbus® protocols. With the protocol adapter SPA-ZC 302, Profibus DVP1 can also be used.
REF620 is a member of ABB’s Relion product family and part of its 620 protection and control series of relays.
- Withdrawable plug-in unit design for swift installation and testing
- Extensive range of protection and control functionality, either with sensors or conventional instrument transformers
- Extensive earth-fault protection portfolio with unique multifrequency admittance-based protection for higher sensitivity and selectivity
- Several optional functionality packages – interconnection protection for distributed power generation, capacitor bank, basic motor and arc protection
- Advanced and fast fault location of short circuits and earth faults
- IEC 61850 Edition 2 and Edition 1 support, including HSR and PRP, GOOSE messaging and IEC 61850-9-2 LE for less wiring and supervised communication
- IEEE 1588 V2 for high-accuracy time synchronization and maximum benefit of substation-level Ethernet communication
- Large graphical display for showing customizable SLDs, accessible either locally or through a web browser-based HMI