RED615 is a phase-segregated, two-end, line differential protection and control relay for protection, control, measurement and supervision of overhead line and cable feeders in utility and industrial power distribution networks, including radial, looped and meshed distribution networks, with or without distributed generation. RED615 is also ideal for line differential applications with an in-zone transformer.
RED615 is available in five standard configurations and has been designed to be the main protection for overhead line and cable feeders, in either isolated neutral, resistance-earthed, compensated or effectively earthed distribution networks, depending on the standard configuration. Two RED615 relays interconnected over a communication link form an entirely selective unit protection scheme. Protection of ring-type and meshed distribution networks generally requires unit protection solutions, also applied in radial networks containing distributed power generation.
RED615 fully supports the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices, including IEC 61850-9-2 LE, and can now also benefit from the extended interoperability provided by Edition 2. RED615 further supports both the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) and the high-availability seamless redundancy (HSR) protocol via fiber optics, together with the DNP3, IEC 60870-5-103 and Modbus® protocols. With the protocol adapter SPA-ZC 302, Profibus DPV1 can also be used.
RED615 is a member of ABB’s Relion® product family and part of its 615 protection and control series of relays.
- Withdrawable plug-in unit design for swift installation and testing
- Selective unit protection as phase-segregated two-end line differential protection, either with sensors or conventional instrument transformers
- Ready-made standard configurations, including line differential communication, for fast and easy setup with tailoring capabilities
- Line differential communication between substations either over a fiber-optic link or a galvanic pilot wire connection
- Ideal for line differential applications with an in-zone transformer
- IEC 61850 Edition 2 and Edition 1 support, including HSR and PRP, GOOSE messaging and IEC 61850-9-2 LE for less wiring and supervised communication
- IEEE 1588 V2 for high-accuracy time synchronization and maximum benefit of substation-level Ethernet communication
- Large graphical display for showing customizable SLDs, accessible either locally or through a web browser-based HMI