REG615 is a dedicated generator and interconnection protection relay for protection, control, measurement and supervision of power generators and interconnection points of distributed generation units in utility and industrial power distribution system.
REG615 is available in three standard configuration, two of which have been exclusively designed for generator applications and one for interconnection applications. As generator protection, REG615 offers full protection both during start-up and normal run for both the generator and the prime mover, typically in small and medium-sized diesel, gas, hydroelectric and combined heat and power plants.
As interconnection protection, REG615 commits to ensuring a stable and reliable grid at times when distributed generation units being directly connected to the grid are growing in both size and number. REG615 is continuously monitoring distributed generation units such as solar or wind farms, both to determine whether and when to disconnect them from the grid as well as to detect islanding from the grid.
REG615 fully supports the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices, including IEC 61850-9-2 LE and Edition 2, offering substantial benefits in terms of extended interoperability. REG615 further supports both the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) and the high-availability seamless redundancy (HSR) protocol, together with the DNP3, IEC 60870-5-103 and Modbus® protocols. With the protocol adapter SPA-ZC 302, Profibus DPV1 can also be used.
REG615 is a member of ABB’s Relion® product family and part of its 615 protection and control series of relays.
- Withdrawable plug-in unit design for swift installation and testing
- Extensive range of protection functionality for both synchronous generators and interconnection points of distributed generation units
- Ready-made standard configurations for fast and easy setup with tailoring capabilities
- Extensive generator protection with 100% stator earth-fault, generator differential and out-of-step protection
- Advanced interconnection protection fulfilling the latest grid codes for higher grid stability and reliability
- IEC 61850 Edition 2 and Edition 1 support, including HSR and PRP, GOOSE messaging and IEC 61850-9-2 LE for less wiring and supervised communication
- IEEE 1588 V2 for high-accuracy time synchronization and maximum benefit of substation-level Ethernet communication
- Large graphical display for showing customizable SLDs, accessible either locally or through a web browser-based HMI