At ABB, respecting your data privacy rights is a top priority. This notice explains why and how we collect personal data about you, how we process such data, and what rights you have regarding your personal data.
Who controls your personal data
ABB is responsible for your personal data. ABB refers to ABB Information Systems Ltd. (incorporated in Switzerland). For the purposes of applicable data protection law, ABB Information Systems Ltd. will be the controller of your data, as being the entity providing services or communicating to you.
Other subsidiary companies of ABB as listed in the Section “Parties we share your personal data with (in and outside the EU and EEA or outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located)” may also receive and process your personal data, either in the capacity of controller or processor and this Notice applies equally to them.
The personal data we collect about you and how we get it
We collect the following categories of personal data:
- The contact information you share with us through My ABB: name, title, email address, business email address.
- Additional information you provide to us in the course of our business relations, such as: interests in ABB products, marketing preferences and interests and your feedback on issues concerning products from the Product Tree;
- Information your device makes available when you use ABB Connect: installation ID.
What we use your personal data for
We use your personal data to:
- provide and administer our products and services;
- provide customer support and process, evaluate and respond to requests and inquiries;
- conduct and facilitate customer satisfaction surveys;
- conduct marketing and sales activities (including generating leads, pursuing marketing prospects, performing market research, determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing campaigns and managing our brand);
- send you marketing communications (such as alerts, promotional materials, newsletters, push notifications);
- perform data analytics (such as market research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and customer segmentation).
To provide you with tailored marketing communication and advertisement, we will use automated methods to build a profile based on data that we have obtained as described in this notice. You have the right to object to profiling activities by submitting a data subject request at www.abb.com/privacy.
We only collect the personal data from you that we need for the above purposes. We may also anonymize your personal data, so it no longer identifies you and use it for various purposes, including the improvement of our services and testing our IT systems.
The legal basis on which we use your personal data
We will rely on our legitimate interests to process your personal data for the purposes as described in this privacy notice or ask your consent for the activities described in this privacy notice when required by applicable law. You may obtain a copy of our assessment of why we may process your personal data for these interests by submitting a request at www.abb.com/privacy.
How we share your personal data
We only share your personal data with other ABB affiliates or third parties as necessary for the purposes described in this notice:
- ABB affiliates and subsidiaries (see the list of ABB subsidiaries), for the purposes described in this privacy notice. EU Model Clauses are in place to protect your personal data;
- ABB business partners, distributors, and agents located in EU and non-EU, for the purposes described in this privacy notice. EU Model Clauses are in place to protect your personal data;
- Service providers delivering IT services, analytics services, marketing agencies, payment processors, customer support providers working on ABB’s behalf. This includes hosting services providers: Akamai in Atlanta USA, Microsoft in Redmond USA and Amazon in Seatle USA.EU Model Clauses and commercial contracts ensuring your data is only used to provide the services to ABB;
- Potential or actual acquirers of ABB businesses or assets for the evaluation of the business or assets in question or for the purposes described in this privacy notice. EU Model Clauses and commercial contracts ensuring your data is only used to evaluate ABB’s business or assets or for the purposes described herein;
- Recipients as required by applicable law or legal process, to law enforcement or government authorities, etc. where required by applicable law or a legitimate request by government authorities, or a valid legal requirement. We will ensure, to the extent possible, that adequate protection is provided for your data when it is transferred out of the EU in these circumstances.
Where we share your personal data with an affiliate or third party so that it is transferred to or becomes accessible from outside the European Union (“EU”) and the European Economic Area ("EEA") or outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located, we always put adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data. Examples of these safeguards are an adequacy decision of the European Commission (read more here), Standard Contractual Clauses (read more here), Privacy Shield certification (read more here), and the Binding Corporate Rules that some of our suppliers have adopted (read more here). We have taken additional measures for the transfer of data from within to outside the EU, EEA and outside the country where the ABB company that controls your data is located to protect your personal data. If you would like an overview of the safeguards which are in place, please submit a request at www.abb.com/privacy.
How long we keep your personal data
We will keep your personal data for the period of one month or until you withdraw consent. After this time, we will securely delete your personal data. If necessary to meet legal or regulatory requirements and/or resolve disputes, we may keep some of your personal data after this time.
Your data privacy rights
Depending on the jurisdiction in which you are located and in which your personal data is processed, you may have the following rights:
- The right of data access: You have a right to obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions.
- The right of data rectification: You always have a right to ask for immediate correction of inaccurate or incomplete personal data.
- The right of data erasure: You have the right to request that personal data be erased when it is no longer needed, where applicable law obliges us to delete the data or the processing of it is unlawful. You may also ask us to erase personal data where you have withdrawn your consent or objected to the data processing. However, this is not a general right to data erasure – there are exceptions.
- The right to restrict data processing: You have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data in specific circumstances. Where that is the case, we may still store your information, but not use it further.
- The right to data portability: You have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, machine-readable format for your own purposes, or to request us to share it with a third party.
- The right to object to the data processing: You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data based on the legitimate interests, where your data privacy rights outweigh our reasoning for legitimate interests.
- The right to withdraw consent: Where ABB has asked for your consent to process personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
Please note that the rights described above are not absolute, and that your request cannot always be met entirely. For example, sometimes we cannot delete or restrict the processing of your personal data as we may have legal obligations or contractual obligations to keep certain such personal data.
You may request to enforce your data privacy rights at www.abb.com/privacy.
We may collect information about the use of the application (number of downloads, country of the visitor, etc.) based on our legitimate interests to provide you with advertising relevant to you and your interests.
ABB Connect uses both "first party" cookies (cookies set by ABB Connect) and "third party" cookies (cookies set by a third party that is providing a service for the ABB Connect). We use first party cookies for storing preferences, tracking user trends and patterns with the help of statistics providers and for storing data needed throughout the use of the application.
The table below describes the web tracking cookies that may be used by ABB Connect.
Provider of cookie
Type of cookie
Purpose of cookie
Application analytics (anonymous usage statistics)
HockeyApp (MS Application Centre)
Application analytics (anonymous troubleshooting statistics)
User behavior analysis (anonymous data on how users scroll and interact with the page)
- You can opt-out from Google Analytics’ processing of your personal data generated by the use of the application by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page.
- You can opt-out from the third party software development kits’ (SDK) processing of your personal data generated by the use of the application by visiting AppsFlyer SDK opt-out page and by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
Contact and further information
If you have any questions about how we use your personal data or wish to make a complaint about how we handle it, you may contact our Group Data Protection Officer at email@example.com, or submit your complaint at www.abb.com/privacy. Should you not be satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data against the law, you may also contact the Data Privacy Authority in your country of residence or work or where you believe an infringement of data privacy laws may have taken place.