ABB’s Electrification business continues to grow in the U.S. by investing in best-in-class manufacturing facilities with modern equipment, offering a complete electrification product portfolio, regionalizing and optimizing the fulfillment footprint and recruiting top talent.
The U.S. represents the largest growth opportunity for ABB’s Electrification products, which includes a wide portfolio of products, digital solutions and services, across key segments including e-mobility, data centers, food & beverage and utilities, enabling safe, smart and sustainable electrification.
In addition to previously announced factory expansions in Senatobia, Mississippi and Mebane, North Carolina, and a new product development center in Bloomfield, Connecticut, ABB in 2020 announced investments in a new West Coast distribution center in Phoenix, Arizona with expansions of its Mount Juliet, Tennessee product distribution center, its Hackettstown, New Jersey manufacturing facility, and its Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) facility in Richmond, VA.
“ABB is a global company with a strong local footprint, and we understand that expanding to meet the growing demand in the U.S. is pivotal to our success,” said Mike Plaster, EVP, Lead Business Manager, ABB Electrification. “Our investments in the U.S help us to optimize our operations and bring us closer to customers, resulting in improved efficiencies for us and faster delivery times for our customers.”
Highlights of ABB Electrification’s U.S. investment and growth story include:
- A 400,000 square foot West Coast distribution center in Phoenix, Arizona. The facility adds 100 new jobs and enables faster service and delivery times for its entire range of T&B electrical products, including packaged goods and high-end, custom fabrication.
- Infrastructure advancements, including a 30,000 square foot shelving system spanning two levels, at ABB’s Mt. Juliet, Tennessee distribution center. This product center now serves the entire U.S. with electrical products like circuit breakers, switches, controls, residential panels and many more.
- Expansion of the solid dielectric switchgear manufacturing footprint to 24,000 square feet and new state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment at ABB’s Hackettstown, New Jersey manufacturing center. The facility manufactures cable accessories, switch gear apparatus, and overhead apparatus, under the brand names Elastimold® Switchgear, Elastimold® MVR and Joslyn® Hi-Voltage Capacitor switches.
- Infrastructure expansion of ABB’s Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) facility in Richmond, VA. The facility supports factory and customer acceptance testing up to 4MW utilizing state-of-the-art Lithium Ion Battery systems.
- A new product development center in Bloomfield, Connecticut. The facility adds 100 new jobs and includes a complete low-voltage electrical lab, high current and endurance test capabilities, a materials characterization lab, environmental test stations, electronics and systems testing and a complete rapid prototyping facility to support new product design and development programs.
- Expansion of the Mebane, North Carolina manufacturing operations with an additional 200,000 square feet and 400 jobs to be added in the next five years. Mebane is home to an advanced, state-of-the-art customer experience center and is designated as a “factory of the future” facility.
- Expansion of the Senatobia, Mississippi facility to 200,000 square feet and adding close to 200 new positions by 2021. The expansion re-shores production from overseas and modernizes the manufacturing floor.
These investments will be the focus of “ABB Across America”, a dedicated web series at https://new.abb.com/us/us/abb-across-america where visitors will experience the excitement at every facility as the company grows to meet customer demand.
ABB (NYSE: ABB) is a leading global technology company that energizes the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. By connecting software to its electrification, robotics, automation and motion portfolio, ABB pushes the boundaries of technology to drive performance to new levels. With a history of excellence stretching back more than 130 years, ABB’s success is driven by about 110,000 talented employees in over 100 countries. www.abb.com
ABB’s Electrification Business Area is a global leader in electrical products and solutions, operating in more than 100 countries, with over 200 manufacturing sites. Our 50,000+ employees are dedicated to delivering safe, smart and sustainable electrification. With ABB Ability™ enabled digital solutions at its core, our portfolio protects, connects and optimizes the flow of electrical energy for smarter electricity distribution for utilities, industry, buildings, infrastructure and mobility. For more information visit https://go.abb/electrification.
Electrification Media Relations, U.S