- Hi-Tech ValiantTM full-range current-limiting fuse contains sparks within the device to help reduce risk of wildfire ignitions
- Designed to improve system safety and support utility infrastructure, resiliency and fire mitigation planning
- Fuse design and damage sensor builds on 20 years of innovation
Wildfires in North America burn millions of acres, damage billions of dollars in property, and cause injury and loss of life each year. ABB Installation Products introduces the new Hi-Tech ValiantTM current limiting fuse for fire mitigation. Incorporating over 20 years of field-tested fuse technology, the Hi-Tech Valiant fuse’s special body, unique engagement pin and damage sensor help improve system safety and power quality.
Because the smallest spark can ignite a wildfire under certain conditions, the Hi-Tech Valiant fuse is designed to contain sparks that could otherwise be emitted during fuse operation and fall on dry vegetation. The Hi-Tech Valiant fuse also fits industry-standard overhead mounting brackets to save utilities critical installation time.
“As many communities prioritize safety and resiliency plans in preparation for challenging wildfires, ABB Installation Products collaborated with utility partners to design and extensively test our new Hi-Tech Valiant fuse,” said Matthias Heilmann, President, ABB Installation Products Division. “Fuse operation is one of many factors that can contribute to wildfires. ABB’s Hi-Tech fuse helps utilities reduce risk and expands our portfolio of safe and smart electrical solutions.”
Weather patterns, dangerous winds and changing climate conditions are all risk factors in igniting wildfires. ABB’s new fuse technology utilizes a sensor to protect against undetected fuse damage, provides visual indication after operation, and helps address the prevention and mitigation of wildfires including:
- Interrupts the current in less than a quarter cycle.
- Prevents expulsive gases, showers and external heat from being generated during fuse operation – especially important in populated areas.
- Incorporates a patent-pending engagement pin to ensure vertical and rotational alignment.
- Meets industry standards and the California Code of Regulations exemption requirements.
- Installs easily using standard field installation procedures.
- Inhibits water intrusion and UV damage to enhance reliability and protection in harsh conditions.
- Noiseless operation alleviates the loud bang that can be associated with fuses.
Produced and tested at ABB’s Hickory, N.C., facility as part of the ABB Installation Products portfolio of Medium Voltage solutions, the Hi-Tech Valiant fuse is available to utilities across North America based on specifications, safety plans and training needs. To learn more, visit Hi-Tech Valiant™ full-range current-limiting fuse | ABB US
Part of its Electrification Business Area, ABB Installation Products Division, formerly Thomas & Betts, is a global leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of premium branded products used to manage the connection, protection and distribution of electrical power in industrial, construction and utility applications. With more than 200,000 products, ABB Installation Products has over a 100-year heritage of developing safe and smart solutions found wherever electricity is used.
ABB’s Electrification Business Area is a global leader in electrical products and solutions, operating in more than 100 countries, with over 200 manufacturing sites. Our 50,000+ employees are dedicated to transforming how people live, connect and work by delivering safe, smart and sustainable electrification solutions. We are shaping the future trends of electrification, differentiating through technological and digital innovation while delivering an outstanding experience through operational excellence for our customers across utilities, industry, buildings, infrastructure and mobility. For more information visit https://go.abb/electrification.