The Alarm Rationalization Tool (ART) is part of the ABB AlarmInsight alarm lifecycle management product suite, and is built on more than 20 years of alarm consulting experience
It encompasses various aspects of alarm management as described in industry standards and guidelines EEMUA 191 and IEC 62682. It enables efficient alarm review processes and includes a Master Alarm Database and management of change capabilities. The Alarm Rationalization Tool enables continuous alarm improvement programs throughout the lifecycle of a plant.
- It can be used as a stand-alone tool for “any” DCS (as a client on a PC or on a server accessible via web)
- Be installed on-site and be integrated with other AlarmInsight components
The underlying Microsoft SQL-based Master Alarm Database enables work on large datasets and has advanced data management functions like:
- Data import and export capabilities to and from Excel files
- Interface provides all relevant data in a single view – for efficient alarm review meetings
- Audit trail logs enabling progress overview and revert/undo capabilities
- Time-saving copy functionality of alarm parameters
- Time-saving “rules”/ template function for attribute population and control of similar alarms.
- Control over Import / export functionality (roll-back / overwrite/ skip functionality).
- Secure backup routines through standard Microsoft SQL technology
The tool can integrate with the AlarmInsight Software portfolio as an on-site server installation, adding several capabilities:
- Operator response texts for AlarmHelper (either read directly from the ART database or populated via Excel files)
- Enabling “bulk” updates of DCS with new alarm priorities
- AlarmInsight Alarm Change Recorder can be used to compare design values from ART with the alarm attributes actually implemented in the DCS (800xA DCS only).
- Creates a Master alarm design overview and allows continuous optimisation of the alarm design throughout the lifecycle of the plant.
- Allows efficient Alarm reviews of large data sets.
- Can work as a stand-alone tool and for alarm reviews and later as a server installation on site integration with the other AlarmInsight features.