The Arab Potash Co. (APC) is a world leader in the minerals industry. APC is specialized in producing potash for agriculture, industrial potash for the chemical industry, industrial salt, bromine, and fertilizers.
APC chose ABB’s extended automation System 800xA to upgrade its control systems at both the El-Safi solar evaporation pond system plant at the Dead Sea, and as an extension to the existing control system of the Aqaba warehouse.
ABB helped APC to upgrade the control, drives, and instrumentation system leading to a significant reduction in plant downtime, power consumption, and maintenance costs. In addition the plant availability, stacking and reclaiming rates were increased.
The contract demonstrates ABB’s competencies in complex brownfield projects with integrated plant solutions.
Scope of supply
- Control System 800xA with AC800M
- Wireless communication network
- DC drives for traction motors for stackers and reclaimers
- Field sensors for stackers and reclaimers
- Installation S/V, commissioning and start-up
- Classroom training
- On job/site training
- Maximum plant availability and reliability
- Extension to mechanical equipment lifetime
- Comprehensive monitoring and reporting
- Significant decrease in manpower and operation costs