When LKAB increases the production from 26 to 33 million tonnes of crude ore per year, hoist capacity is of vital importance.The first measure taken was to upgrade the four sub-vertical level hoists from DC to AC-technology. The second is to install a fifth double skip hoist on this level in order to start operating the new production level at -1365 m. The present four hoists will continue with the -1045 production level until production on this level ceases.
Why did LKAB select ABB hoist technology?
- High operation availability
- Production friendly operating system
- Safe and precise interaction between brake hydraulics and motor drive control
- Good experience from previous installations
Why did LKAB select the ABB AC drives?
- Motor and drive operate at a power factor of 1.0
- Low voltage drop, so that more than one hoist can be started at the same time
- Smaller size transformers
- Low harmonics levels
- High efficiency
LKAB mining company
LKAB is a Swedish state owned company that operates two major mines in the north of Sweden. The iron ore is refined to pellets and fines. Yearly production is about 25 million tonnes. LKAB plans to increase production to 30 million tonnes of pellets and fines.
LKAB Kiruna mine
The LKAB Kiruna mine produces 26 Mtonnes of crude ore per year (33 Mtonnes/year with the new haulage level at -1365m). By means of 2-stage hoisting with 12 production hoists (5 + 7) the ore is brougt to the surface. The production is fully automatic from train loading pockets to unloading pocket in the head frame.