The MB3600-HP12 heavy oils analyzer allows the opportunity to develop calibrations with reproducibility, and once in place they allow for very rapid, high-precision sample assays in a fraction of the time of the standard laboratory test. This enables the crude oil, bunker fuel, heavy oil unit feed or other stream qualities to be made available in a timely and useful manner for quality release or downstream process setup and optimization. For example in crude blending, the blend quality can be determined prior to committing to the crude distillation column feed.
FT-NIR spectroscopy has a significant advantage for the development of calibrations and the analysis of dark, heavy oil or crude oil samples because the data quality in the long-wavelength near-infrared, accessible at high signal-to-noise ratio using FT-NIR instruments, allows the measurement of black samples (such as crude oil) with equal quality as compared with simple light, white hydrocarbons such as gasoline. In the long-wave near-infrared gasoline and crude oil are equally transparent.
Using the MB3600-HP12 laboratory FT-NIR heavy oils analyzer, applications and calibration models for a variety of important crude oil and heavy oil parameters can be prepared and implemented for routine QA / QC operation.
Example Oil Properties
- True Boiling Point (correlated with ASTM D2892 or SimDist)
- API Gravity
- T90, T95 (correlated with ASTM D86)
- Kinematic Viscosity (KV40, KV100)
- Flash Point
- Conradson Carbon
- Standard cell pathlength 0.5mm (4,000-5,000cm-1 recommended calibration range)
- Option for 2mm pathlength (5,500-7,500cm-1) and 5mm (6,500-9,500cm-1 recommended calibration ranges)
- Standard FT-NIR spectrometer platform (MB3600) for range 3,750-10,000cm-1
- Option for Mid-IR version for range 650-6,000cm-1, 0.2mm pathlength cell.