While the two most important paper properties are typically weight and moisture, there are a plethora of other measurements needed to analyze and control the end-product quality. That means R&D is tasked with making measurements easily done in the paper testing lab into an automated, online measurement system that is non-destructive and makes minimal contact with the paper web as it speeds through the machine at speeds exceeding 100 km/hr.
As such, a variety of different types of physics are utilized by our Physicists and Engineers to come up with the best solution, including:
- Using the energy dissipated by radioactive isotopes to measure the mass of the sheet
- Creating X-Rays to measure the amount of inorganic filler in a sheet
- Microwaves are good at measuring moisture in very heavy sheets
- Lasers provide high energy beams to measure surface properties like the orientation of the fibers in the sheet.
- Using UV Light is a great way to measure the amount of moisture in the sheet.
Our R&D team represent experts across a variety of fields and disciplines to be able to match the best approach to the measurement need. Recently, ABB invested in a new R&D center in Dundalk, Ireland. It is a privilege to bring state-of-the-art facilities to our experts and inspire the next generation of industry-leading quality control products.