Paralleling Switchgear (PSG) is a combination of protection, metering, control and switching elements acting as an integrated system.
PSG acts as a brain in the switchgear control & operations, providing reliable solution for critical power application from simple to complex systems. The PSG solution interfaces and integrates ABB MV, LV switchgear and 3rd party gear with a mix of ABB and 3rd party devices such as PLCs, synchronizers, generator/engine controllers, protection relays, power quality metering, SCADA system, UPS, ATS to provide turn-key flexible control solutions.
PSG can provide and enhances system reliability, ease of uninterruptible maintenance, and operational cost savings.
Various PSG applications include Standby, Prime Power, Open/closed transition, Soft transition, Parallel with Utility modes including peak shaving.
The PSG solutions can perform following operations:
- UL certified designs, NEMA enclosures
- Control & Automation of multiple LV/MV switchgears and switchboards
- System control and optimization of multiple gens and utilities
- Emergency power availability within 10 secs for life safety and critical loads
- Dynamic load control (load add/shed) based on system load level via ABB PLC or process controllers
- Generator optimization using PLC or generator controller
- Soft loading and unloading of generators
- Generator speed and frequency control
- System alarms annunciation
- Source and feeder breaker controls
- Utility-Generator/Generator - Generator paralleling
- Allows manual operation for all breakers, generator control and synchronization
- Communication and interface with various on-site equipment including EPMS, SCADA, BMS systems etc.
- Concurrent maintainability / Uninterruptible Maintenance
- Analog and digital metering
- Remote operator interface panel
- Fully automated backup and peak shave power system
- Remote system monitoring & controls
- HMI with navigation for user interface and to test and to operate system loads
- Peak shave during peak demand and base load options for cost optimization
- Dynamic power source and load optimization
- Works with multiple communication protocols
- Centralized system controls
- Custom projects tailored to customer requirements