Introduction of battery energy storage systems, associated with renewable power sources, working in tandem with utility grid connection and conventional captive generation like diesel, gas has added new dimensions to overall expectations from power management solutions. And infusion of electric vehicle infrastructure to the microgrid network only adds further challenges.
The "traditional" PMS solution already covers for industrial segment, where gas and diesel generation units work in parallel with the utility grid.
The microgrid power management system solution or microgrid control solution incorporates a cluster of products such as AC500 or AC800M as PLC units, ZEE600, Relion PML630 load-shedding controller, Relion protection relays, Remote IO RIO600, Ekip Up protection units, PCS100 Energy Storage Systems, HiPerGuard UPS, as well as 3rd party products such as tariff and energy meters, governor and AVR systems, battery management systems, fire safety systems, HVAC systems, etc.
In addition to the above, ABB's Optimax as an energy optimization and load forecasting application can also be integrated to the microgris PMS solution.
The solution uses IEC 61850 as the predominantly binding communication standard, along with OPC DA/UA, Modbus TCP for exchange of data between the ABB solution components and also 3rd party systems such as battery management, governors and AVR units.
The microgrid PMS solution, as the capability to handle both transition and steady state functionality, in accordance to IEEE 2030.7 and IEEE 1547 comprises of the following functionality:
- Unplanned islanding
- Black start sequence
Steady state functions:
- Grid codes handling
- System-wide active and reactive power control
- Unit level active and reactive power control
- Automatic-synchronization of generators
- Demand control at point of interconnection
- Spinning reserve management
- Peak shaving
- Frequency regulation
- Voltage regulation
- Battery state of charge control
- Disturbance ride-through during intermittent undervoltage conditions, when microgrid exports power
- Distributed architecture for better reliability, accurate control actions, state-of-the-art features
- Offers increased flexibility and scalability and improved system integration and customization, fulfilling a variety of requirements
- Safeguards and provides value for investments
- Ensures reliability of power
- Customized to suit customer project requirements