Smart control cabinets for overhead-line networks
Solutions for automating the secondary distribution network
The rising demand for improved reliability and availability of power supply requires an increase in automation of the secondary distribution network. ABB’s portfolio of smart control cabinets
offers a convenient and cost-effective solution for effortless integration – equally suitable for new and retrofit installations.
ABB has developed a wide portfolio of control cabinets to be able to meet today’s diverse and
evolving customer requirements within power distribution. The ready-made solutions offer a
cost-effective and convenient way to increase automation in the distribution network to
improve the availability and reliability of power supply.
The modular cabinet design also supports fully customized solutions. Secure connectivity
over the wireless network makes accessing the remote assets both easy and cost-effective.
The medium voltage overhead line network in suburban and rural areas comprises of pole-mounted transformers installed for distributing power out to the customers through low voltage networks.
The smart outdoor control cabinet portfolio for overhead-line networks includes four ready-made solutions, termed as 'GAO', for each of four levels of functionality and automation. The scalable design allows adaptation of the cabinets to suit a variety of primary equipment by implementing an appropriate level of automation:
- Level 1: Situational awareness with remote monitoring
- Level 2: Level 1 + Fault isolation with remote control
- Level 3: Level 2 + Power flow management with advanced fault passage indication (FPI)
- Level 4: Level 3 + Protection selectivity when circuit breakers are integrated
In addition to the standardized offerings, the cabinets can be flexibly tailored to meet customer-specific requirements. The range of control cabinets for cable networks comes in different sizes and materials and can be flexibly mounted to suit a variety of installations.
- GAO2, GAO3, GA04 control cabinets for overhead-line networks
- Cabinet enclosure in stainless steel, with heating and fixing accessories for pole mounting
- Plug-in connectors for easy connections to outdoor apparatus
- Interface for communication over public wireless networks
- Improved availability and reliability of power supply
- Cost-effective, flexible and convenient with ready-made solutions
- Customization freedom with modular cabinet design
- Wireless connectivity for easy and secure access to remote communications assets
- Improved quality of power supply through less and shorter outages limited to a restricted part
of the distribution network
- Improved safety for the utility personnel through more exact fault location information
- Improved operational efficiency through better tools for operators and field crew
- More efficient utilization of the distribution network by minimizing network losses
- Comprehensive and selective protection of the distribution network