ABB’s in-situ visual inspection service uses a robotic crawler – ABB Air Gap Inspector – to examine the stator core, rotor core and winding of large motors and generators. The inspections make it possible to check for faults without the need to remove the rotor.
The robotic crawler moves in the air gap between the stator and rotor, traversing the stator core laminations using modular, magnetic tracks. It can be used in all motors and generators with air gaps of 10 mm and upwards. Unlike conventional inspection devices, which are restricted to turbo/hydro generators with very large air gaps, ABB Air Gap Inspector can be used on all large synchronous motors and generators with air gaps of 10 mm or more.
- Visual inspection of the air gap without removal of the rotor
- Avoiding the need to remove the rotor means significant savings in time and costs as well as reduced risk
- Extent and quality of inspections are greatly enhanced compared to conventional methods
- Optimizes maintenance planning and increases availability of motors and generators by reducing the number of outage days where rotor removal is required
- All data are recorded for later, in-depth assessment and expert evaluation when necessary