Power systems engineering is one of the oldest and most fundamental services provided by ABB. Our engineers have unprecedented expertise gained from over 100 years of working with a wide range of customers and utilizing pioneering techniques.
- Short circuit - helps determine the fault current that will flow through the power distribution system in the event of a short circuit at a certain point.
- Load flow - also known as a power flow study, is used to examine the steady-state operation of an electrical system under multiple scenarios. The key objective of this analysis is to assess the voltage magnitude, along with the real and reactive power flows within the system.
- Protection coordination - determines the optimal settings of an electrical system ensuring that devices like relays and breakers function in a coordinated manner. This minimizes the impact of faults on the electrical system.The study determines the protection setting parameters for various protection devices such as:
- instrument transformers/sensors for transforming measurement signals
- protection devices (like relays) for processing the measured signals
- circuit breakers/fuses for isolating the faulty system
- Harmonic study - used to understand current and voltage distortions in electrical power systems due to non-linear loads. Harmonics are undesired frequencies that can overlay 50-60 Hz fundamental frequencies, depending on the country, and they are caused by harmonic-generating loads introducing significant voltage distortions.
- Motor starting study - assesses the impact of starting large electric motors on a power system. This study is similar to a load flow study and focuses on ensuring that there is adequate voltage to start the motor.
- Current and voltage sensors sizing study - Current transformers (CTs) and voltage transformers (VTs) are a basic but essential part of any power system protection and monitoring system. They are used to measure and transform current and voltage levels to values that can be safely and accurately measured by instruments, protective devices, and control systems.
A CT/VT sizing calculation verifies that the instrument transformers are designed as per system requirements and are suitable for the desired protection or metering function.
- Protection relay programming