The Relay Retrofit Program for REX 521 features advantages from the latest IEC 61850 based Relion® 615 series products. The various retrofit phases can be accurately scheduled and efficiently executed. This will reduce downtime of the production or power distribution process to a bare minimum, saving end users both time and money.
"The result is extended switchgear lifetime, full availability of relay life cycle services, and the possibility to adapt the power protection system to meet new requirements like interoperability of substation automation devices", said Burhan Gundem, Head of Service in ABB's Electrification Products division. "This retrofit program also increases safety of the personnel and equipment by enabling arc flash protection", he concludes.
The program focuses on the controlled and repeatable procedure for replacing the existing REX 521 relays with new developments from the Relion 615 series. It provides
- pre-designed installation mounting assembly for the dedicated replacement devices, documentation, tools and accessories.
- selected replacement relay types REF 615 and REM 615, as their functionality corresponds to that of the existing REX 521 relays.
- mounting assembly with prewired terminals which minimizes the need for re-wiring as well as reducing the need for updating the existing schematic drawings.
- a configuration migration template which defines the equivalent Relion relay configuration to the REX 521 standard configuration.
- a specially developed cutting tool that enables a precise quality cut and reduces the requirement of the time consuming panel measurements.
- a Relion 611/615 BIO-Tester which can be used for relay testing of the stand-alone 615 relays.
ABB has a variety of solutions to extend the lifetime of the complete installation by offering different protection system refurbishment options, like Maintenance Exchange Unit services and one-to-one replacements. ABB is the forerunner of digital protection since the mid 1980's and provides product support for the users throughout the products' entire life cycle with global, high quality services.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner of Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 135,000 employees. www.abb.com
For more information please contact:
Media Relations Manager
Electrification Products Division
Phone: +41 (0)43 317 54 04