2020 ABB Electrification Innovation Week will be held from 16 - 20 November in Xiamen with the theme of “Imagining Digital Innovation – Let’s Write the Future of Electrification”. During the Innovation Week, ABB will launch two revolutionary switchgear and more than 20 digital electrical products to meet customers’ needs for today and tomorrow.
Amina Hamidi, Chief Technology Officer, ABB Electrification, said: “Technology leadership is in our DNA at ABB Electrification and it has been a strong differentiator for ABB for over 130 years. The world is driving increased energy consumption and in particular electricity demand, and it is important to ensure we are efficient in our consumption. I can see an increased role for digital technologies and artificial intelligence, and China has recognized this very early and is in a leading position worldwide.”
As one of the fastest growing economies in the world, China is an important market for ABB and its digital solutions. After more than 20 years of rapid development, ABB has provided over 5 million interconnected devices and 8,000 control systems to Chinese users, which has laid a solid foundation for ABB to support the digital transformation and upgrading of Chinese customers.
Mike Mustapha, Head of Global Markets, ABB Electrification, said: “The extensive global footprint of our Electrification business, aligned with local expertise and insight means we are able to effect positive change for our customers and societies around the world. For China, which remains a high priority market for us, that means a commitment to continually investing in innovations to support our customers evolving needs, creating a simpler digital customer journey and expanding our portfolio of intelligent and connected solutions.”
Innovative subscription model enhances user experience
Since the launch of ABB Ability™ in 2017, ABB Electrification’s digital business has grown significantly, with an average annual growth rate of 38%. In 2020, the ABB Ability™ Marketplace was released allowing customers to order ABB Ability™ Electrical Distribution Control System (EDCS) and other application functions online, which drives the increase of business efficiency and experiences via a truly one-stop service.
Innovative technologies build a smarter and sustainable urban distribution network
The energy transformation in China is speeding up, and it is forging ahead on the road of electrification, intelligence, and low carbon solutions. Low-carbon energies such as wind and solar rely on the application of distributed energy technology to change traditional production and consumption patterns.
Through the Internet of Things, Big Data, and smart energy management platforms, it is possible to connect dispersed microgrids and centralized large grids and realize energy storage management. ABB launched cutting-edged innovations to address the trend:
- PrimeGear™ ZX0, ABB’s latest gas insulated switchgear, which distributes energy in the medium-voltage (MV) network, is available with SF6 or eco-efficient gas mixtures Dry Air or AirPlus, which offers a global warming potential of less than one. It allows customers to change the insulation gas to an eco-efficient alternative at any point of the switchgear’s lifetime.
- NeoGear™ low-voltage switchgear uses laminated busbar technology that is currently used in aircraft, automobiles, and space stations. The compact switchgear reduces the occupied space by 25 percent, reduces heat generation by 20 percent and supports the integration of ABB Ability™ digital solutions to achieve more efficient condition monitoring and reducing total operating cost by 30 percent.
- Safe Digital 2.0 digital ring main unit (RMU), which can be widely applied on complicated distribution networks, promoting digital transformation in electrification. Based on ABB Ability™ cloud technology, it uses integrated digital applications to precisely monitor the operation status and provide asset health and operation management for customers.
- ABB's newly designed SoliMold medium voltage cable accessories deliver an electrical performance which is 30% higher than the national standard and requires 30% shorter installation time than traditional products.
Innovative technology evolves power distribution management
The lack of data transmission and communication functions in the traditional solutions of the electrical industry, is an urgent problem that can be addressed with several solutions from ABB. By upgrading various traditional hardware products and adding digital communication functions, ABB helps users complete power distribution management from the single-function, manual, and low-efficiency traditional model to a smart, highly integrated and efficient level.
ABB has introduced several low-voltage power components with integrated smart solutions which are based on the ABB AbilityTM Electrical Distribution Control System (EDCS). The series of Software as a Service products with innovative technology and communication functions, offer greater insight and capabilities to view system performance.
- The PCS100 active voltage conditioner ensures the smooth operation of the load on the medium-voltage transformer side
- The new Tmax XT Molded Case Circuit Breaker (MCCB) has extremely high performance and protection functions of up to 1600A
- TruOne, the worlds first all in oneautomatic transfer switch supports fast switching capabilities within milliseconds
- UPS with communication that can work under high temperature, high humidity and high voltage environmental conditions
- CPX 125 integrates contactors, circuit breakers, thermal relays and intelligent motor protectors and other traditional control and protection functions.
Innovative technology creates a safe, comfortable and smart space
In November 2019, ABB set up the Shenzhen Open Innovation Center to target global collaboration and innovation, and develop businesses in core areas including AI, cloud services, network security, and smart buildings. In March 2020, ABB announced the acquisition of Cylon Controls Ltd. to expand the building automation and HVAC control product portfolio, improving the operational efficiency and comfort of commercial and retail buildings, schools and healthcare facilities.
New products for automation and building connectivity include:
- Building management system, which can control all aspects of the building and combine with ABB i-bus®KNX intelligent building automation system. ABB’s building management system is good at controlling large back-end equipment, while ABB i-bus® KNX facilitates the control of front-end equipment. The two can be seamlessly connected and integrated on the same software platform to provide customers with comprehensive and intelligent solutions, which drive energy efficiency and improve the efficiency of use and management.
- ABB’s BFreLax guest room control system focuses on security, with high-level network security policies and strict network security reviews. It integrates multi-functional input/output DIN rail modules, which can uniformly manage and control the lighting, electric curtains, air conditioning, and sockets and other electrical devices. The status of the room can be notified to the front desk, such as whether the room is available or occupied, the air conditioning temperature and service/do not disturb requests.
Innovative technologies accelerate the development of e-mobility
ABB Electrification officially released the new Terra series 60kW-120kW DC charger and ABB AbilityTM charging service platform during the Innovation Week, enabling Internet-based charging infrastructure and creating a green and smart charging-ecosystem.
As China strives to achieve carbon neutral status by 2050, the electrification of the transportation sector with e-mobility at the core will be critical to meet this goal.
As a world-leading supplier of electrification and charging infrastructure solutions, ABB has developed well-proven technologies globally which ensure the integration of charging infrastructure and communication technology, as well as helping stabilize the grid during peak charging periods. ABB is now working with related standardization organizations in China to promote vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology in the country.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a leading global technology company that energizes the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. By connecting software to its electrification, robotics, automation and motion portfolio, ABB pushes the boundaries of technology to drive performance to new levels. With a history of excellence stretching back more than 130 years, ABB’s success is driven by about 110,000 talented employees in over 100 countries. ABB has a full range of business activities in China, including R&D, manufacturing, sales and services, with 15,000 employees located in more than 130 cities, 28 local companies, and online and offline channels across around 700 cities. www.abb.com
ABB’s Electrification BusinessArea is a global leader in electrical products and solutions, operating in more than 100 countries, with over 200 manufacturing sites. Our 50,000+ employees are dedicated to delivering safe, smart and sustainable electrification. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our portfolio protects, connects and optimizes the flow of electrical energy for smarter electricity distributionfor utilities, industry, buildings, infrastructure and mobility. For more information visit https://go.abb/electrification