ABB, a technology leader, today announced the addition of a new vacuum contactor for switching electrical loads to the medium-voltage offering. This contactor is suited for a wide variety of applications requiring a high number of operations: motor starting and motor control centers, transformers, soft starters, and metal-enclosed capacitor banks. Additionally, ConVac 12kV is suitable for applications with an insulation level up to 42kV power frequency withstand voltage and it is tested for a making and breaking capability of 6kA.
ConVac offers customers a fast solution to change accessories or auxiliary supply voltage, via plug and play accessories. It also makes installation easier and more convenient with savings up to 40 percent on wiring time, thanks to electrical connections plug and socket with embedded terminal box. The high-quality device is designed with a common footprint with the 7.2kV unit to optimize panels design and is easy to install with the plug and play accessories, reducing up to 80 percent of the time needed to provide customized solutions.
“ABB aimed to make the new contactor solution more efficient for customers,” said Alessandro Palin, managing director of ABB’s Distribution Solutions business line. “Our customers in both industry and utilities continuously look to optimize investments and maximize output, which requires reliable and effective switching solutions.”
The same features recently made available on ConVac 7.2kV can be found on the ConVac 12kV version. Moreover, customers can appreciate the following additional benefits, increasing the product performances:
- Possibility to install the contactor in any orthogonal position, including upside-down
- Pre-designed mechanical and electrical interlock between two superimposed contactors
- Compatibility with self-supply from control power transformer
- Similar overall dimensions of ConVac 7.2kV and same position of terminals and fixing points, footprint up to 20 percent smaller than other solutions in the market
- Easy customization with accessories common to 7.2kV unit for a user-friendly solution to switch motors, transformers and capacitor banks.
- Reliable in extreme conditions,from -30 °C up to 55 °C
- Insulation level up to 42kV power frequency withstand voltage
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com